How to use your Essential Oils as natural way to clean and disinfect your home
Does the idea of bleach just not sit well with you? Do you try to avoid toxic cleaning products as much as possible? You’re in the right space – these are not our cup of tea either. You deserve better than that!
An article published by the Organic Consumers Association, states that nearly 10% of all toxic exposures in a single year of history were due to household cleaning products, and 120,434 of these cases involved children under the age of six. There are a few things we wish more people knew about, and we hope this can change environments for the better. Of course, the answer is using your essential oils!
Given how many household cleaning products are toxic and full of harmful chemicals, this is a new habit you can introduce, which will bring significant changes to your daily life and living space.
Here are some inspired ideas and possible solutions on how to use your oils as a natural way to clean and disinfect your home!
Things to consider when making your own essential oil solutions:
- Make sure you know which essential oil is best suited to the application for which it will be used.
- Pets! Do you have pets? Be sure to read our ebook on how to use your essential oils safely around pets!
- Children with sensitivities? Please take caution when using oils.
- Use them sparingly. You will be very surprised at just how far a little can go!
Are you ready to do better by your body? No more detergent and dish liquid? Using your essential oils as a natural antimicrobial is one of the healthiest ways to ensure that your space is kept clean and serene.
Not only will you support the health and well-being of your family, but you’re doing the environment a big favour too!
Below you’ll find a few ways you can use your essential oils to clean your space.
- Use them undiluted on lightly soiled surfaces (note which oils are suitable for this)
- Add a few drops of whatever essential oil you have chosen to a soft cleaning cloth.
- Use the cloth to rub surfaces clean and leave a fresh scent behind.
Tip – Citrus oils work well to remove stubborn sticky stuff!
- Homemade Cleaning Mix
- Mix up equal white vinegar and water with a few drops of the desired essential oil or a blend of your choosing in a spray bottle.
- Adding a few drops of tea-tree oil or lemon oil to your mop bucket for floor cleaning (Note: be aware of ways to use tea-tree safely around your pets!)
- Add your favourite smelling blend to a 2L vinegar bottle as a natural fabric softener or disinfectant, use this within your laundry cycle!
You can also use essential oils in a diffuser, on fabrics, or in a potpourri for a long-lasting fresh natural fragrance in your home. Not only will this help keep the air fresh and clean, but you can only imagine all the benefits for your family and environment.
- Simply add the desired essential oils to a diffuser.
- Add a drop or two of the essential oil directly to curtains, cushions and bed linen. (Note which oils you’re using, and take care not to overdo it as it can cause staining.)
- Add your favourite blend of essential oils to potpourri for lasting fragrance and décor.
- Cleaning your cleaning materials! Disinfecting your cleaning apparatus like sponges, brushes, scrubs and mops is important to keep everything germ-free. Using your antimicrobial essential oils allows you to get down and dirty, without the harmful chemicals and toxins!
Here are some examples of oils and their superstar uses around the house!
- Tea tree can be used not only to prevent acne and breakouts, but also to clean your make-up brushes!
- Peppermint is great for adding a lovely, fresh scent to your bathroom when cleaning surfaces.
- Eucalyptus has natural anti-bacterial properties, making it a great addition to homemade cleansers. It is also brilliant for the respiratory system in the winter months.
- Lavender is a floral and relaxing scent that can be used in your bedroom. It assists with instilling a good night’s sleep; whereas adding rosemary will do wonders for mental clarity and relaxation.
- Lemon doesn’t only smell great, but it is fantastic when it comes to neutralising odours; it also has extremely useful anti-bacterial properties for cleaning your kitchen. All Citrus oils are immensely powerful for any cleaning expedition you may embark on!
The possibilities are truly endless, and it’s all up to you in the end!
Experiment! Have fun with it! Breathe a sigh (of clean air!) and relief knowing that now you can replace all those harmful household products, doing worlds of good for the Earth and for your loved ones!
Using cost effective, non-toxic, natural ingredients can greatly impact the future and well-being of your family – and we’ve said it before – essential oils are the answer!